My week after a blog-changing experience like Alt Summit has been strange, to say the least. I expected to bring back tons of energy and go-get’em-ness. Instead I found myself flat on my back with the worst flu of the year. I’m going to blame US Airways. Because I can. But, it has given me time to calm down. Part of me wanted to pump out posts about Alt, but it turns out everyone has done such a great job of that already, that I’m reading theirs for insights! Maybe I lost some of my memories during that feverish phase early in the week? I mean, I was so sick that I. didn’t. post. on. Tuesday. I never do that. Who does that the week after Alt in particular?! Sheesh.
Anyway. I can only begin to summarize my experience. It was inspiring and invigorating to be among so many amazing people. Like someone said in their own recap, Alt Summit is not a conference, it’s like one big Pinterest Board. It really is – everything is so carefuly designed and curated to please. From the swag, to the sessions, the parties, the food, and even the hotel. But my most vivid memories are of the people and connections that I made. And honestly, I could have worked even harder to make more of those connections! I’ve come away from the experience asking big questions of myself, my blogging habits, and my future. But I’ve also come away with some amazing collaborations on the horizon. It’s going to be a grand year.
So this week’s round about is, fittingly, about Alt Summit – 4 links to recaps and 2 of some of the many photos of me now floating around. Dang those photobooths! Can you spot me?
- I loved Emily’s post, 4 Life Lessons from Alt Summit, because it was the personal side of the experience, not a recap of the glitz or a point by point of the sessions (which are also good). It’s refreshing and real – and reminds me a bit of what I’m feeling too.
- Method sponsored one of the mini parties on Friday night, we were all dressed up and dancing to some hilarious music. But man, it was hot in there! See more Smilebooth photos here. (Left to right, Myself, PJ of Bunny and Dolly, and Emily, of Peck Life.)
- Big Grand Sigh. I think Erin, from Art Social and I tweeted back and forth at least 6 times in one day to try and meet, and yet never caught each other! What a missed opportunity, because her blog is lovely and this Alt Summit recap is spot on.
- Sheri, from Donuts, Dresses and Dirt, did a great round-up of business cards from Alt. Don’t you just love her blog title? And hey, can you spot my card? Oh, and check her Pinterest board of Alt Summit Recaps, it’s awesome.
- Ah yes. The much anticipated Clue Party. Amazing colors, props, and themed nooks and crannies were everywhere. The food looked amazing, and the smell of fresh flowers was in the air. I even know all the gals in this photo, except for the lovely lady behind the book – who are you , Mystery Woman? (Back: Sandra of Raincoast Cottage, Jill of Terra Savvy, Jennifer of Classic Play. Front: Sheri of Donuts, Dresses, and Dirt, and Jacqueline, of The Hourglass Files )
- PJ, of Bunny and Dolly, also did a great post on advice from Alt Summit - I love the quotes she pulled. I think we can all agree one of the catch phrases of Alt 2013 is “I want to attract you or I want to repel you”, from Jasmine Star. Because it’s true, as a blogger, we can’t be liked by everyone. I’m just glad I’m liked by you!
Have an amazing weekend everyone – and don’t catch my flu.